Saturday, October 23, 2010

Big D

I will start by saying that surgery was successful and Clark did better than I could have ever imagined.  Please thank God for His never ending love & help He has given us.


We arrived in Dallas on Tuesday.  It was a very long day with appointments from 10-5ish.  First we were admitted, then we went to the pharmacy to register with them, then we saw occupational therapy for his special spica cast car seat, spoke to the dietitian, next we met the resident & spoke with our doctor, met the nurse and last but not least (trust me, they saved the best for last)...the anesthesiologist.  Whew.  You better believe we were exhausted. 




After we left Scottish Rite, we checked in at the Ronald McDonald House of Dallas (which is absolutely fabulous, by the way.)  And yes, we really did rock in those rockers, which was really nice after the long day we had.







 I really couldn't believe how nice this RMH was.  Apparently, it's brand new.




 There are a lot of rules when you stay at an RMH, but they provide 3 meals a day and free laundry facilities, among other things.










We had been given permission to remove the traction leg wrappings & I promptly got to work at unveiling Clark's legs after almost 2 months.  It was amazing how cute his legs were!!  And he was so happy and doing well at sitting up with a little help. 











The next morning, we had to be at the hospital by 5am.  When we got there, I had to wipe Clark down with surgical antiseptic to get him ready to go to the holding room.









His million-dollar smile.














They had a teeny gown for him to wear.


















Next, we went to the holding room. Which is the last stop before surgery & is as far as the parents can go.
 
The anesthesiologist, Dr Kelly, (Clark's newest Granny) came to take him to surgery.
 
 
 
 
 
We were given a pager and sent to the surgical waiting area. We went to have breakfast in the cafeteria and came back to wait.





The surgery took about 2 hours and then we were able to go into recovery and see Clark.








  Clark looked good, especially for just having come out of surgery.  He did have the open reduction so there is an incision in the crease of his groin on the left side.  He slept until 6:30 pm.  I was so happy about that because I was worried that he would be in a lot of pain.  They were on top of pain management, I really couldn't have asked for more.  As soon as he woke up, I was able to hold and feed him.





Jeramy and I spent the night at the hospital with Clark.  He did well until about 3am and then he was fussing I'm guessing because of his position and not being able to move his legs.  Finally, Jeramy and I figured out if we propped him up just so between us on lots of pillows that he would be able to sleep comfortably.  All-in-all, I don't think I got more than 10 hours of sleep in the 36 hour time frame so I'm still exhausted.

















The next morning Clark had a CT scan to check on the placement of his hip and everything looked good.  We waited to talk to his doctor, and get his carseat in working order, we were discharged around 2pm.




Clark is doing well and more time is going by between time that he needs his pain medication.  Diapering is a little tricky, but we're figuring it out.  All-in-all, I really couldn't be more pleased with how everything went.  I was worried, for sure, but I had faith that things would work out.  Scottish Rite is amazing, and I am so glad we opted for that 2nd opinion and chose to have Clark treated there.

No comments:

Post a Comment