Friday, August 20, 2010

Traction in Range

Our appointment with the orthopedist went well.  They want to start traction in September.  I'm ready, but nervous.  After 4 weeks of hanging from his leg in a little red wagon, my (still very tiny) baby  will have to go under anesthesia to either (1) get a giant cast that stays on for around 4 months or (2) have invasive surgery to physically place his hip in the socket and THEN get a giant cast that stays on for 4 months. 

On one hand, I'm so glad we have a time line for when Clark's hip will be fixed.  On the other, I'm nervous about treatment.  Specifically leaving Clark lying in a wagon 24 hours a day, he can only come out 3x/day to eat.  Helloooo, babies eat way more than that, in fact Clark eats every 1.5 hours!  And, I can only imagine he won't be happy about it all either...he's a lot like me in that he's not a big fan of change.

Thank goodness Scottish Rite is such an amazing hospital, and we also have a wonderful doctor & nurse.  It seems they hold our hand through every step of this process.  Without that caring approach, I'm sure this would be much harder.

Here are some example pictures for traction & the spica cast:

No comments:

Post a Comment